Saturday, January 15, 2011

A Thousand Splendid Suns

“One could not count the moons

that shimmer on her roofs,

or the thousand splendid suns

that hide behind her walls.”

There is no better way to jump start a year for a book lover like me, than to spend it with a good book. So on the third day of January, I went to our company’s mini library to search for the first novel to welcome another year of good read. So there I found Khaled Hosseini’s A Thousand Splendid Suns. And after just three days of reading it, I said to myself… “how about that for a good start!”

A Thousand Splendid Suns is about Afghanistan as told through the story of two different women and how their fate intertwine in the middle of love and war. It’s about their dreams, their realities, their struggles and their own share of happy endings.

While I’m reading it, I realized how thankful I am to be born in my country, and in my time, where women is treated with utmost equality and respect. It gives me this realization, though, that it’s not always the same with other countries, specially on the other side of the globe.

But in the middle of those pages I celebrated with them the struggle and the pain of being a woman. I rejoiced with them the gift of wisdom and strength that only women possess.

Khaled Hosseini did a great job after his bestselling novel Kite Runner. Wonderfully written, vivid and nostalgic.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...